Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Santa Fe Depot in National City, CA

Built in 1882, the National City Santa Fe Rail Depot is the only original transcontinental railroad terminus in the United States still standing. On November 14, 1885, the first train left from National City to Waterman (renamed Barstow in 1886), 78 miles from its transcontinental link in San Bernadino.

National City Santa Fe Rail Depot appears today much as it did back in the late 1800's and early 1900's. In 1998, National City restored the Santa Fe Rail Depot to its original splendor. Expecially impressive is the woodwork and other interior details.
National City Santa Fe Rail Depot was designed with an Italianate style of architecture - a distinct style in the nineteenth century.
Today, National City Santa Fe Rail Depot functions as is a railroad museum and community meeting place in the main freight room which can hold up to 60 people.

Docents are available to conduct class and group tours. Snacks and drinks available for sale in our Bookstore. A picnic table is available outside the National City Santa Fe Rail Depot if you would like to bring a lunch and enjoy the typically nice San Diego-area weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Joe Fugate's Siskiyou Lines 2007

Bruce Petty's Los Angeles and San Fernando Valley

Mark Lestico's N UP Cascade Division 2010

Charlie Comstock's Bear Creek and South Jackson 2010

Mike Danneman's D&RGW N 5x7 layout

David Barrows Cat Mountain and Santa Fe 1999

Fremo group in Europe Southern Pacific